Monday, January 15, 2007

A conversation before bed

I got home from dropping off the paperwork and money for Alexandra to start preschool tomorrow and Paul was just putting the kids to bed. Paul went to take Atticus downstairs and Alexandra and I were sitting in her bed. She looked really sad. She said to me "I'm not sure what I'm going to do about tomorrow." I asked her why. She said she was scared and that she wanted me to stay with her tomorrow while she's at school. I told her that when she went to school she'd stay there for a couple of hours and then I'd come to pick her up. She started to cry and said again she was scared. I told her that tomorrow if she wanted we could go meet the teacher, meet the other kids and play for a little bit and then we'd all come home. She said through tearful eyes "You promise I can come home". I said yes I promise. She looked at me, wiped her tears away and said "I feel a lot better about this mommy, a lot better". I smiled, hugged and kissed her and told her I loved her. This is a new chapter for her and I'm glad I got to talk to her about her fear. It's scary to be with new people that you've never met. Most adults feel the same way.

No comments: