Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Power of Routine

I discovered this week after many times of struggle that we have a pretty solid routine set up and the kids (and I) like it that way. We get up, have breakfast, watch a little PBS. Play or read books, eat lunch, play some more. Then we have rest time, wake up and watch dragon tales and george. Eat dinner, play and/or read books. Daddy gets home, he plays with them, brush teeth, head to bed. This is just the basic routine. On Tuesday and Thursday, Alexandra has preschool. Tues is dance, and bookmobile. Wed, they usually go to Meme's, Thursday is my work and and so on. I've noticed that if we are out of routine for too many days we all start getting cranky. Also, Atticus doesn't really have a solid schedule yet but I long for the day when he'll line up. I'm figuring this is just the kind of person I am. It gives me comfort to know what's coming next. I know a lot of mom's who don't have a routine and love it. I try to leave room for sponteinty but the basic needs to stay the basic for the most part or I get really really cranky and what's the old saying, If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy!

No comments: