Friday, April 18, 2008

Let them struggle

Yesterday Sebastian was not excited about going to school. He cried when I left and it was hard for me to leave. I'm seeing though that Mrs. B the teacher really has a way with Sebastian and is really good at pushing him. She had him on the monkey bars this week and that's something I would have never done. I watch him struggle with tasks every day and some days I just stop the struggle and do those things for him. As I was watching Sebastian outside yesterday I thought, you know sometimes God allows us to struggle because what's on the other side is so much better for us. We can't see it but He can and that's why he allows it. As Sebastian struggles to put his shoes on and I verbally encourage him and not physically step in, every time gets easier. He is putting on his own shoes, pants and shirt. That's all because we've allowed him to struggle to figure out how to do those things. He's better because of the struggle. As his mom, that is one of the hardest things for me to grasp. I have such a love in my heart for him, I want things to come easy, but they don't for him right now. I have to see further into the future, that the struggle now will pay big later. I've got to keep reminding myself of that.

No comments: