Friday, July 04, 2008

The Powerless

Yes, that's what we were starting Wednesday night. While we were out at church, a huge storm came through town and even though we live in the city, we lost power. I was sure it would return in a couple of hours because in the last nine years, we've only lost power for a few hours if at all. It took almost 2 days. When I called the power company, they kept telling me that it wouldn't be restored until Saturday night. The first thing that happened to me was I thought about all the things I would be doing if the power was on but that really wasn't true. I thought about how I needed to do laundry and that I could mop the floor but I wouldn't have done that. I would have been on my computer or watching TV or both (which is what I'm doing now). I really learned I'm a modern girl. I like lights, I like to hear my fan or air conditioner running at night. We had hot water for dishes and a shower but no dishwasher and no hairdryer. I have to admit, I don't really like this about myself, I wish I liked living like I was camping but I don't. I don't like it at all. I think the kids handled it better than I did. That's pretty sad when your 5, 3 and 1 year old handle the power outage better than their mom! :)

No comments: